The job of 60 Minutes is to repackage ultra-left lunacy in superficially reasonable tones for mainstream consumption, so it is perfectly suited to the task of rehabilitating Ethel Rosenberg. You thought only the communist kooks running New York City would champion a woman who helped put Stalin in a position to kill us by the millions with nuclear weapons? Wrong:
Obama’s presidency isn’t over until the end of next year, yet rumors already are swirling about who he might pardon.
One name in particular keeps surfacing: Ethel Rosenberg, a dedicated communist and convicted espionage conspirator.
Those who regard her as a hero for spying on behalf of the Soviet Union are ramping up their lobbying efforts.
There’s a New York City Council proclamation calling for an “Ethel Rosenberg Day of Justice in the Borough of Manhattan,” and a forthcoming segment of “60 Minutes” that will endeavor to show Ethel received an unfair trial and never should have been executed.
On the contrary, thanks to the Venona files, we now know just how richly Ethel Rosenberg deserved execution.
Only the comfortably ignorant can now deny the extent of the damage done or who the players were. Ethel’s role should no longer be in question.
The phrase “comfortably ignorant” apply describes the 60 Minutes audience. The cure for their malady is a dose of reality:
• Ethel was critical in getting her brother, David [Greenglass], a machinist at Los Alamos, NM, to turn over documents and drawings that confirmed what they were already receiving from nuclear physicists such as Klaus Fuchs and Ted Hall.
• Ethel was trusted by at least two KGB spies, Semyon Semyonov and Alexander Feklisov. Masters of espionage tradecraft, Soviet spies awarded their trust to only the most loyal and dedicated American operatives.
• Ethel was present when Julius had meetings with spy ring members such as Joel Barr and Nathan Sussman. The couple’s small apartment was often used for meetings and the exchange of purloined documents.
• As the FBI closed in on the Rosenberg spy ring in the aftermath of revelations from physicist Fuchs, chemist Harry Gold, Greenglass and other Americans caught in the web of lies, Ethel was quickly assigned the task of collecting incriminating evidence and keeping it from law-enforcement authorities.
• After Julius was arrested and imprisoned, he informed another prisoner, Eugene Tartakow, an FBI plant, that Ethel assisted him on many of his spy projects.
[A] presidential pardon would be a disservice to those who fought totalitarianism and respect historical truth.
But leftists have a fetish for the Rosenbergs. So 60 Minutes will rewrite history to absolve her, and Obama will grant the pardon. If liberals remain in power, Julius Rosenberg will follow in time.
At least we don’t have to worry about Obama pardoning Benedict Arnold, since he hates Britain as much as America.
The Rosenbergs: pure moonbat evil.