FedEx has cut ties with the National Rifle Association (NRA), eight months after it first received calls to do so.
The shipping company confirmed to Reuters on Tuesday that it is ending its partnership, which offered discounts to members of the gun rights group.
In addition to the NRA, FedEx is moving more than 100 other organizations that receive discounts to different pricing programs, the company said, according to the Memphis Business Journal.
The move comes days after 11 people were killed in a shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue. FedEx, however, told Reuters that its decision to end the discount program was unrelated to the shooting, citing business reasons for the move.
FedEx was one of several companies that faced pressure earlier this year to end partnerships with the NRA, following February’s mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.
Several companies, including airlines, car rental companies and banks, ended their discount programs for NRA members, but FedEx said it would not “deny service or discriminate against any legal entity regardless of their policy positions or political views.”
The shipping giant at the time did state that its position on gun policy and safety “differ[s] from those” of the NRA and that it opposes civilian access to assault weapons.
Though FedEx says its decision is not related to any mass shooting incidents, Reuters’s analysis noted that the move shows the NRA “no longer has the economic clout to inspire fear in the corporate world.”
The NRA alleged in a recent lawsuit against the state of New York that it is facing significant financial difficulties, and a recent audit showed the group in the red for the second year in a row.
Officials from the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Defense announced Monday 5200 additional active duty U.S. troops will be deployed to the southern border with Mexico by Friday. Eight-hundred soldiers are on their way to Texas now.
“They are in fact deploying with weapons,” U.S. Northern Command Air Force General Terrence O’Shaughnessy said during a press conference. “I think the President has made it clear that border security is national security.”
Troops are being sent to bolster border security in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas as at least three caravans from Central America make their way through Mexico and toward the United States. The caravans pose a special threat due to their size, which range from 3,000 people to more than 10,000. According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan, at least one caravan near Guatamala, Mexico has used violent tactics to breach a number of international borders.
“Due to the large size of the potential caravans that may arrive at the border, the Department of Homeland Security has further requested the support of the Department of Defense,” McAleenan said. “We will not allow a large group to enter the U.S. unlawfully.”
Troops will be used to build fencing, provide medical units, harden points of entry and address key gaps in points of entry. Air and ground transportation will be provided to move agents and equipment. This support requires military planning teams and heavy equipment, including Black Hawk helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.
One-thousand additional Customs and Border Protection officers and agents are also being deployed to handle operations.
After entertaining a re-election campaign, Senator Bob Corker confirmed in February that he will retire at the end of his term. The Tennessee Republican will leave after 12 years in office and, if nothing changes, with $6.2 million in unspent campaign funds — the most of any outgoing member of Congress.
Corker’s office did not respond to inquiries after two weeks about what will happen to leftover money at the end of the senator’s term.
Neither did the offices of Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Ed Royce (R-Calif.), Patrick Meehan (R-Pa.), Al Franken (D-Minn.) or Pat Tiberi (R-Ohio) — who have a combined $20.2 million in campaign funds and are not seeking re-election.
In all, the 42 members of Congress who plan to retire or have already resigned ahead of November’s midterm election, and their campaign committee war chests boast a combined $50 million.
Democrats look the other way as sanctuary state allows criminal illegals to thrive.
“How brutal murders and fear kept a town silent. MS-13 is like no other gang.”
That may sound like President Trump at one of his rallies but it’s actually the headline of an October 19 Fresno Bee story by award-winning reporter Yesenia Amaro. “MS-13 carved out a reign of terror,” she writes, “resulting in at least 14 brutal murders in and around Mendota from 2015 to 2017.” Amaro charts how this reign of terror developed, and the bloodshed MS-13 has inflicted.
“MS-13 slipped into Mendota relatively unnoticed,” Amaro notes, and “few people outside the rural town in California’s Central Valley knew MS-13 had infiltrated the area at least a decade ago.” This was not only due to relative obscurity of Mendota, with a population of some 11,000. When the gang ramped up the violence, “there was little or no media coverage on some of the murders, some of which had been initially labeled as suspicious deaths.”
Along with the gang’s extortion, kidnapping and drug trafficking, the killings “kept nearly everyone quiet, including city leaders, who failed to sound the alarm.” Even after the 25 MS-13 arrests, Mendota Mayor Rolando Castro declined to comment for Amaro’s story “citing fears for himself and his family.” Other residents spoke only on condition of anonymity, “citing fear of gang reprisals” such as the one involving Joanna Soloria Maya.
This phony bomb scare FALSE FLAG is aimed at DIVERTING the media’s attention AWAY FROM THE INVASION coming from Mexico and also to GENERATE SYMPATHY FOR THE DEMONRATS AHEAD OF THE MIDTERM ELECTION!
This PHONY BOMB scare seeks to paint conservatives as VIOLENT.. Watch CNN and the other Deep State puppets pound this story to DEATH. WHAT ABOUT THE INVASION FROM MEXICO? WILL THAT LOSING STORY FOR THE DEMONRAT PARTY NOW DISAPPEAR?
Will the sender of these alleged bombs turn out to be a George Soros operative or DNC HACK?
How can the media say the bomb maker “knew what he was doing” while knowing NONE of these supposed devices detonated?
Saul Alinsky is still at work, apparently. This PHONY BOMB SCARE is right out of his playbook!
(Washington, DC) – Judicial Watch announced today that in his opening remarks at a Friday, October 12 hearing, U.S. District Court Judge Royce C. Lamberth strongly criticized the U.S. Department of State, stating, “The information that I was provided was clearly false regarding the adequacy of the [Clinton email] search and… what we now know turned out to be the Secretary’s email system.”
Turning his attention to the Department of Justice, Judge Lamberth said that he was “dumbfounded” by the agency’s Inspector General report revealing that Cheryl Mills had been given immunity and was allowed to accompany former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to her FBI interview:
I had myself found that Cheryl Mills had committed perjury and lied under oath in a published opinion I had issued in a Judicial Watch case where I found her unworthy of belief, and I was quite shocked to find out she had been given immunity in — by the Justice Department in the Hillary Clinton email case. So I did not know that until I read the IG report and learned that and that she had accompanied the Secretary to her interview.
(In an April 28, 2008, ruling relating to Mills’ conduct as a White House official in responding to concerns about lost White House email records, Judge Lamberth called Mills’ participation in the matter “loathsome.” He further stated Mills was responsible for “the most critical error made in this entire fiasco … Mills’ actions were totally inadequate to address the problem.”)
Lamberth also complained that the Justice Department attorney representing the State Department was using “doublespeak,” and playing “word games.”
The hearing had been ordered by Judge Lamberth regarding a request from Judicial Watch for testimony under oath from Clinton, Mills and several other State Department officials regarding the State Department’s processing of Judicial Watch’s FOIA request and Clinton’s emails. The State Department still opposes all of Judicial Watch’s requests for additional discovery into the Clinton email scandal.
Judge Lamberth said he was relieved that he did not allow the case to be shut down prematurely, as the State Department had requested:
The case started with a motion for summary judgment [seeking to close the case] here and which I denied and allowed limited discovery because it was clear to me that at the time that I ruled initially, that false statements were made to me by career State Department officials and it became more clear through discovery that the information that I was provided was clearly false regarding the adequacy of the search and this – what we now know turned out to be the Secretary’s email system.
I don’t know the details of what kind of IG inquiry there was into why these career officials at the State Department would have filed false affidavits with me. I don’t know the details of why the Justice Department lawyers did not know false affidavits were being filed with me, but I was very relieved that I did not accept them and that I allowed limited discovery into what had happened.
Judge Lamberth also said the State Department was using “doublespeak” and word games:
THE COURT: The State Department told me that it had produced all records when it moved for summary judgment and you filed that motion. That was not true when that motion was filed.
MR. PRINCE: At that time, we had produced all –
THE COURT: It was not true.
MR. PRINCE: Yes, it was – well, Your Honor, it might be that our search could be found to be inadequate, but that declaration was absolutely true.
THE COURT: It was not true. It was a lie.
MR. PRINCE: It was not a lie, Your Honor.
THE COURT: What – that’s doublespeak.
PRINCE: There’s strong precedent saying that items not in the State’s possession do not need to be searched….
THE COURT: And that’s because the Secretary was doing this on a private server? So it wasn’t in the State’s possession?… So you’re playing the same word game she played?
Where there is evidence of government wrong-doing and bad faith, as here, limited discovery is appropriate, even though it is exceedingly rare in FOIA cases.
[Judicial Watch] is certainly entitled to dispute the State Department’s position that it has no obligation to produce these documents because it did not “possess” or “control” them at the time the FOIA request was made. The State Department’s willingness to now search documents voluntarily turned over to the Department by Secretary Clinton and other officials hardly transforms such a search into an “adequate” or “reasonable one. [Judicial Watch] is not relying on “speculation” or “surmise” as the State Department claims. [Judicial Watch] is relying on constantly shifting admissions by the Government and the former government officials.
Copies of any updates and/or talking points given to Ambassador Rice by the White House or any federal agency concerning, regarding, or related to the September 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
Any and all records or communications concerning, regarding, or relating to talking points or updates on the Benghazi attack given to Ambassador Rice by the White House or any federal agency.
This Judicial Watch FOIA lawsuit led directly to the disclosure of the Clinton email system in 2015.
In May 2016, Judicial Watch filed an initial Proposed Order for Discovery seeking additional information. The State Department opposed Judicial Watch’s proposal, and in December 2016 Judge Lamberth requested both parties to file new proposed orders in light of information discovered in various venues since the previous May.
The full transcript of the hearing is available here.
“President Trump should ask why his State Department is still refusing to answer basic questions about the Clinton email scandal,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “Hillary Clinton’s and the State Department’s email cover up abused the FOIA, the courts, and the American people’s right to know.”
Watch additional comments from Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton here.
The Texas Democratic Party asked noncitizens to register to vote, sending out applications to immigrants with the box citizenship already checked “Yes,” according to complaints filed Thursday asking prosecutors to see what laws may have been broken.
The Texas secretary of state’s office said it received complaints from immigrants and from relatives of dead people who got mailings asking them to register.
Spokesman Sam Taylor said it was “a pretty large volume of calls.”