The Justice Department on Wednesday sided with challengers of voting laws in Wisconsin and Ohio, saying in court filings that measures in those states unfairly affect minority voters.
The department criticized a Wisconsin law that requires voters to present photo identification at the polls and an Ohio law that limits when voters can cast an early ballot. The court papers from the federal government are aimed at persuading judges that the laws, which are being challenged in court, are discriminatory and block access to the ballot box. […]
The Justice Department has warned of legal actions against states after the Supreme Court last year wiped out the most powerful provision of the Voting Rights Act. That provision required select states with a history of discrimination in voting—mainly in the South—to receive Washington’s approval before changing the way they hold elections. …
(Excerpt) Read more at hosted.ap.org …
Would they have given another teacher of a different faith the time off? No. Case closed.
(Chicago Sun-Times) — A Muslim woman has won her fight against a west suburban school district after being denied unpaid leave to go on a religious pilgrimage to Mecca.
The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday announced it settled Safoorah Khan’s religious discrimination lawsuit against the Berkeley School District, forcing the district to pay $75,000 in lost back pay, compensatory damages and attorneys’ fees.
The district also will have to develop a policy accommodating religions consistent with the Civil Rights Acts to ensure something similar will not happen again.
Khan, a teacher at MacArthur Middle School, requested an unpaid leave of absence in December 2008 to perform hajj — a pilgrimage required by Islam — but was told she had to choose between her job and her religious beliefs. She resigned.
“I’m glad that we settled and I hope this does set a precedent,” Khan said. “I hope they realize that hajj means a lot to Muslims and there will be more and more people taking the trip. I hope this helps people and their employers to accommodate Muslims and their requests.”
According to the settlement, the district must also provide mandatory training on religious accommodations to all board of education members and school supervisors.
Khan, now 30, says she went to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, the year she resigned.
“It’s required once in our lifetime at the earliest opportunity you can get,” she said.
The latest in a series of revelations in the ongoing saga of the Fast and Furious scandal — where more than 2,000 rifles were knowingly and willfully allowed to be transported untracked from the United States into Mexico — is truly stunning.
A series of damning memos from 2010 was recently obtained by CBS News, and they indicate that Attorney General Eric Holder — as well as several senior Justice Department officials — were aware of the deadly program.
It may seem inconceivable but nearly a decade after the worst terrorist attack inU.S.history the government has yet to develop or implement an adequate security program to keep foreign extremists from carrying out a sequel.
Two recent reports illustrate this astounding failure by the government to protect the nation from a catastrophe similar to September 11, 2001. Several of the Middle Eastern terrorists who carried out that horrific foray entered theU.S.legally and remained in the country with expired visas while they planned their sophisticated plots.
With that in mind, Congress allocated huge chunks of money to develop a reliable security system that would prevent a repeat. Incredibly, as the tenth anniversary of 9/11 approaches, critical gaps in the program allow terrorists to continue entering theU.S.It’s as if no lesson has been learned from the tragedies that violently ended the lives of thousands of innocent Americans.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Federal attorneys on Monday jumped into a court battle over the construction of a Tennessee mosque by offering legal proof that Islam is a recognized religion entitled to constitutional protection.
U.S. Attorney Jerry E. Martin of Nashville said his office would not sit by while mosque opponents raise questions in court about whether Islam is a recognized religion. Martin said in a statement that to suggest otherwise “is quite simply ridiculous.”
Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that the Obama Justice Department advanced the erroneous claim in an April 21, 2010, court filing that Secret Service’s logs of White House visitors are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). As Judicial Watch noted in its original complaint filed on December 7, 2009, this claim “has been litigated and rejected repeatedly” by the courts.
The Justice Department filing comes in Judicial Watch’s FOIA lawsuit seeking records for all visitors to the White House from January 20, 2009, to the present. On February 22, 2010, Judicial Watch filed a “Motion for Partial Summary Judgment” in its lawsuit, noting that the rule of law and court precedent do not support the position of the Obama administration:
The Weekly Standard
On May 1, 2009, Republican senator Christopher Bond wrote to President Obama with questions about the handling of detainees from Guantánamo Bay. Bond, vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, was concerned about reports that an increasing number of transferred detainees were going “back to the battlefield to kill American soldiers.” He asked a series of specific questions about the detainees and the process for releasing or transferring them.
Almost a full year later, on April 19, 2010, Bond received a response from the Justice Department, which Obama had designated as the lead agency on the detainee task force. Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legislative Affairs Ronald Weich wrote offering a vague description of detainee review process and promising that the detainee task force made its decisions only after a “careful examination of the available and relevant information pertaining to each detainee.”
Blah, blah, blah.
For more than a year, Obama officials, with the Justice Department in the lead, have hidden crucial information on detainees from the public. They have refused to discuss the decisions of the Guantánamo Bay task force or to identify the 60 individuals who serve on it. They have declined to provide information on the detainees that have been transferred or released. And they have ignored repeated requests for specifics on the growing number of former detainees who have returned to jihad—terrorists that the U.S. military is now fighting in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, and beyond.
The recidivist group is growing. The Weekly Standard has learned that the Pentagon has an updated version of its “Return to the Battlefield” report, which tracks Guantánamo Bay recidivism. The percentage of known or suspected recidivists is now “north of 20 percent,” according to a source familiar with the latest data.
Rep. Ted Poe told HUMAN EVENTS he thinks the three Navy SEALs who captured terrorist Ahmed Hashim Abed should be sent back out to capture another terrorist. The SEALs face court martial after Abed accused them of punching him.
Poe isn’t necessarily buying Abed’s story, especially since Abed didn’t launch the accusations until after the SEALs surrendered him to the Iraqis (he supposedly underwent further questioning by the SEALs, while technically remaining in Iraqi custody). According to the Al Qaeda training manual released by the U.S. Justice Department, members of the organization must complain of torture and mistreatment inflicted on them.
“I think they ought to give them medals, send them out to bag another one,” Poe said of the SEALs. “I think they showed great restraint. We are at war.”