Sure, buildings, roads, and monuments have always been named after presidents – but, President Obama’s name has been adopted by more than just schools and bridges. Keep reading! This top five list of things named after Barack Obama is sure to surprise you.
1) An extinct lizard: Obamadon Gracilis (“Obama the Slender”) was a small, extinct lizard named after the president “in reference to the tall, straight teeth, and the manner in which Mr. Obama has acted as a role model of good oral hygiene for the world.”
2) A Fungus: Caloplaca Obamae was named by the scientist who discovered it because she wanted, “to show my appreciation for the president’s support of science and science education.”
3) A Trapdoor Spider: Aptostichus barackobamai was named for Obama because of the president’s enthusiasm for the iconic Spiderman.
4) A Parasite: Paragordius Obamai, the hairworm parasite, was named for the President because it hails from Kenya, the area where his father was born and raised. Interestingly, these parasites infect crickets, forcing them to commit suicide by jumping into water.
5) A Mountain: Mount Obama is a mountain formerly known as “Boggy Peak” located in Antigua and Barbuda which was named after Pres. Obama on his birthday in 2009.
PERSONALLY I LOVE “THE OBAMA PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY” THAT WAS AN OLD OUT-HOUSE, DONE UP AS A FLOAT IN A PARADE. I JUST LAUGH EVERY TIME I THINK OF IT