Politicians sometimes say things they regret. Unless they say so later in a memoir or even–less frequently–a public retraction or apology, we don’t always know what those things are. Often, but not always, they are statements that make the speaker seem out of touch with world events.
For example, George W. Bush probably regrets telling FEMA Director Michael Brown that he was doing “a heck of a job” in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. His father undoubtedly wishes he’d never told anyone to read his lips. We’re not sure what Bill Clinton’s most regretted remark is–that would depend on what our definition of “is” is, probably.
It may not turn out to be Politifact’s 2014 Lie of the Year to succeed President Obama’s promise that we’d all be keeping our doctors and health plans, but Nancy Pelosi just made a statement so utterly ridiculous, so outrageously uninformed, that we have to believe she’s going to regret it for a long, long time.
Sure, buildings, roads, and monuments have always been named after presidents – but, President Obama’s name has been adopted by more than just schools and bridges. Keep reading! This top five list of things named after Barack Obama is sure to surprise you.
1) An extinct lizard: Obamadon Gracilis (“Obama the Slender”) was a small, extinct lizard named after the president “in reference to the tall, straight teeth, and the manner in which Mr. Obama has acted as a role model of good oral hygiene for the world.”
2) A Fungus: Caloplaca Obamae was named by the scientist who discovered it because she wanted, “to show my appreciation for the president’s support of science and science education.”
3) A Trapdoor Spider: Aptostichus barackobamai was named for Obama because of the president’s enthusiasm for the iconic Spiderman.
4) A Parasite: Paragordius Obamai, the hairworm parasite, was named for the President because it hails from Kenya, the area where his father was born and raised. Interestingly, these parasites infect crickets, forcing them to commit suicide by jumping into water.
5) A Mountain: Mount Obama is a mountain formerly known as “Boggy Peak” located in Antigua and Barbuda which was named after Pres. Obama on his birthday in 2009.
Conservative pundit, author and columnist Charles Krauthammer nailed it tonight on Special Report. The FOX All-Star panelist suggested the calls for impeachment “have come from real actions Obama has taken.”
“As far as impeachment, it is coming from real actions the president has taken. Lawlessly changing the Obamacare law, his own law, lawlessly changing the drug laws. Stuff you might want to do but Congress has to do it. Lawlessly changing our energy policy, essentially enacting cap-and-trade, after the Congress has said no by executive orders. These, as Jonathan Turley, among other principled liberals have said, are an assault on the separation of powers.“
On July 25 the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit “eliminated the injunction” against the enforcement of Florida’s “gun gag” law, which restricts doctors from asking patients if they own a firearm unless asking is necessary to a patient’s treatment.
According to Law360.com, the 11th Circuit ruled that barring doctors from asking about firearms “doesn’t violate the First Amendment.”
Florida Governor Rick Scott (R) signed the NRA-backed “gun gag” legislation in 2011. Suit was brought against the State of Florida over the law by “the Florida chapters of the American Academies of Pediatrics and American College of Physicians along with a number of other groups and the anti-gun community.”(continued)
(Excerpt) Read more at breitbart.com …